Monday, August 16, 2010

The Inspiration Mobile

I didn't stop to smell the roses until I was about 17 years old. And by 'stop to smell the roses' I mean realize how fucking beautiful random things are. I remember the moment in its fullest detail, primarily because I wasn't looking at a rose bush, and I found the coincidence comical. I was looking at a shrub.

It was an ugly shrub, too. But the way the light was bending off of all of its leaves made me stop moving, and look. The trees in front, the sky, and even the sidewalk looked amazing. And then I realized that everything on the planet probably looked this awesome. Except maybe for that ugly couple who happened to be walking by.

From that day forth my sight changed. I now frequently get halted in my waltz through parking lots by a piece of trash or a sign that has not had any eyes pay it attention in some time. It seems, in desperation for attention, these neglected objects throw their light whorishly into my eyeballs.

One such object was a Target sign, in the parking lot, which indicated the place to put one's shopping cart.


I started laughing as soon as I paid it attention. I took a picture of it on my phone and immediately sent it to my girlfriend, and told her to turn the photo upside down.



I began seeing faces on everything. I started laughing at 80% of the machines I came into contact with because, despite their metallic hides, they were all emitting emotions.



Now, not only is everything gorgeous, but everything has a goddamn face. Even when I sat down to write this post with the above pictures already drawn, I realized that my speakers have faces.




Getting inspired is not difficult. Sometimes you just have to stop, smell the roses, and realize that every single one of those bastards is having the most awesome day ever.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out this book called "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. There's a section in there that reminds me of what you're saying about seeing faces in everything.

    ReplyDelete